Many international students wish to stay back in Australia after finishing their graduation. For them, the best option to go for is the Temporary Graduate Visa Subclass 485. This visa has two streams under it, each allowing a student to stay for a considerable period and gain relevant work and study experience. The essential requirement is earning graduation after studying for at least 2 academic years. So, whether you hold a diploma or a bachelor’s or a master’s, you can choose to apply for a temporary graduate visa. This post gives a detailed guide on this topic.
Australia is a country that offers excellent opportunities in the vocational education and training sector. That is why many local and international students choose to join TAFE (Technical and Further Education) institutes across Australia. The best thing about these vocational degrees is that they help students get relevant jobs more quickly than university degrees. Also, most of them cover a maximum of 2 years, which is also much shorter than university degree courses.
If you are one of them and have earned your diploma while holding the Student Visa 500, you can apply for the Graduate Work Stream of the 485 Visa Australia. This stream will allow you to stay for 18 months in Australia and explore full-time work opportunities.
However, remember that you will be required to go through a skills assessment for the nominated occupation present on the Short-term Skilled Occupations List (STSOL).
Another stream under this visa is known as the Post-Study Work Stream. While it allows the holders to stay for a longer period (2 to 4 years), you will need to hold at least a bachelor’s degree to apply for this stream.
Because you are applying for a particular Temporary Graduate Visa 485 stream, it will be necessary to check whether you satisfy all of its requirements.
Your age must be under 50.
The Department of Home Affairs will process your application if:
- You currently hold Student Visa 500,
- You currently hold a BVA or BVB and have held a student visa in the last 6 months of your application,
- You currently hold a substantive visa and have held a student visa in the previous 6 months of your application, and
- You are now abroad and hold a valid Australian student visa.
Apart from a diploma, holding a trade certification will make you eligible for the visa.
This eligibility requirement is mandatory for the Graduate Work Stream.
- You have to nominate an occupation present on the Short-term Skilled Occupations List (STSOL).
- Make sure that your academic qualification is closely related to the nominated occupation.
- Also, keep in mind that a relevant assessing body should carry out the required assessment.
In addition to the stream-specific requirements, you must also satisfy some general 485 Visa eligibility criteria.
Holding a diploma is the main requirement for the Graduate Work Stream. However, you need to satisfy several other Australian study requirements for both streams.
- Make sure your course was registered with the CRICOS.
- You should have completed all the course requirements.
- You should have earned your degree after studying for at least 2 academic years. As per the CRICOS, 2 academic years refer to 92 weeks.
- You should have stayed for a minimum of 16 calendar months in Australia.
- Make sure the learning medium is English.
- You should have completed the course while holding a student visa.
You must have a certain English language proficiency level to apply for the Graduate Visa 485. In this case, it is necessary to score at least 6 with 5 in each band of IELTS. Equivalent scores are required for other tests.
However, if you are from an English-speaking country, this condition will not apply.
Having an adequate health insurance cover is required throughout your stay in Australia. If your Overseas Student Health Cover remains valid during your 485 Visa application, you can provide the details.
But at the time of the visa grant decision, make sure that you have arranged for another Australian health cover. An Overseas Visitor Health Cover can be enough in this case.
You and your family members may have to undergo essential health examinations if the Department of Home Affairs asks you.
Also, keep in mind that every 485 Graduate Visa applicant aged 16 or above has to meet character requirements.
Your Graduate Work Stream application will not be successful without submitting the documents according to the Visa Subclass 485 checklist.
- Bio pages of your passport
- A national identity card
- A name change proof, if required
Submit a completion letter issued by your institute. It should mention:
- Course start and completion dates
- CRICOS code of the institute
You can submit your IELTS results, not more than 3 years old.
The assessing authority will provide your skills assessment certificate. If you do not receive it before your Subclass 485 Visa Australia application, provide evidence that you have applied for it. Once you receive the result, attach it as soon as you can.
When it comes to submitting health insurance details, submit:
- A proof of your enrolment
- A signed letter provided by your health insurance company
- Health examination reports
- Australian Federal Police clearance certificate
- Partner documents
- Dependent children documents
- A filled-in Form 956 if you take professional migration help
You can consult migration agents in Adelaide who can give you the best guidance for a successful application. For contacts, you may get in touch with any top-rated migration firm.